Im a 6ft 2, 11 stone 16 year old. If you may not have guessed im really skinny. Anyway, im a complete idiot when it comes to excersise/diet whatever, i used to swim 3 times a week for an hour and a half since the age of 3, but quit a year ago because of my club filling with assholes. To get active again i joined a gym which im lucky enough to get in for free because my sis works there. Only thing i do there is a 3 min jog, 4min rowing, 2min cycling and once over the machines, roughly 3 sets of 10 reps each. And nothing in the weight room.
Anyway, im looking to put on lean muscle while improving my stamina and strength. Mainly in my chest and of course abs.
What's your diet like? Try injesting more calories: fat, protein, and carbs. Be sure to increase unsaturated fats though, not saturated as that leads to bad cholesterol (whereas greater monounsaturated and omega fatty acids in particular will increase your good cholesterol levels). You need to do strength activity in order to build muscle. You should go into the weight room instead of the machines (although a few are useful, free weights are much better because you can do a greater range of movements in the range that works for your body, rather than a machine probably designed for the average sized man.
Your main goal should be to ease yourself into heavy weight exercises and try getting assistance for exercises like bench press and squats. Be careful, if you haven't used weights don't rush into anything really heavy, just ease yourself into heavier and heavier weights every week. If anything causes you stress on particular joints then either stop that exercises or reduce the weight. For example, if you're tall and lanky with a small build you may find bench press particularily taxing on your shoulders.
Neo-Cortex, Frontal Lobe<br />Brainstem! Brainstem! <br />Hippocampus, Neural Node, Right Hemisphere...
you have to EAT EAT EAT, to gain mass 80% of what u need is ur diet the other 20% is the workout. . .to put on mass i used to follow this diet.
8:00am - 2 whole eggs 2 egg whites cooked
8:30am - 1 scoop of Whey protine in semi skimmed milk
10:30am - 1 can of tuna with pack of noodles
12:30pm - 1 chicken breast, 1 cup of peas, 1 cup of rice
3:00pm - Bacon sandwidch with 1 scoop of whey in water.
3:45pm - workout
4:45pm - 1 scoop of whey with water
6:30pm - Fish/chicken/steak with 2 cups of veg
9:00pm - tuna/cheese/ham on toast (2 portions)
10:30pm - bed
Monday - chest
Wed - Arms
fri - Traps/Back
sat/sun - legs
hope this helps ..
ps. u can buy whey cheap in ur local Gym.
I'm gonna say you need to eat more than that. As a "skinny guy" he's going to need a lot more carbs and fats than most people. My personal fav calorie hit is toast loaded with peanut butter.
Use fitday.com for a while, and aim for around 4000 calories per day. You don't have to use it everyday, just till you get a feel for exactly how much 4000 calories is.
i'm quite skinny like bradpitt skinny and i gained around 15lbs just over a year or so on that diet yes i had alot of Mc donalds for easy cals tho. .
Thanks for all the advice! But i have to ask, will i still be able to do stamina/cardio stuff like rowing and running?
Also am i still able to eat loads of fruit? and are there any risks of whey protein? Im not exactly looking for body builder look, but more swimmer, tonned kinda look, if you know what i mean.
I also dont have a clue on any kinda excersises using weights. And i've looked at the excellent sticky, and i can tell i wont be able to remember any of them by the time i hit the gym.
You ate that every day for a year, and only put on 15lb? I'd go insane eating the exact same thing, at the exact same time every day for a month, let alone a year.
kmrobins i aint the bodybuilder just wanted to put on abit of weight, i didnt take it seriously especially when doing exersises at the gym.
i was finding it hard to gain mass when i first started working out i weighed about 135 pounds at 5'10 which is really skinny however after bit of research i improved my diet with a 3000 calorie a day diet with lots of protein, 5 fruit and veg a day etc and got myself some whey powder supplements, after about 3 months i now weigh about 148 pounds with a less body fat % so im really happy, have a look on fitness websites if ur stuck for ideas (btw i work 3 times a week down the gym consistently) however remember if u want defined abs ull probably wanna get ur body fat to around 8% as i have about 10 and only 4 of my abs are visible