This is something that's kind of been nagging on me for a while.
I am 24 and have very poor facial hair growth. I do not shave my whole face too regularly, but the only places where my facial hair grows is a somewhat thin and short mustache (kind of like you see on young Latino gangsters in movies), a few hairs on my chin, and a few hairs under the middle of my lower lip.
Oh... and lots of nose hair (dangit!). Now, I have hair elsewhere; I have hair everywhere you would expect to see a beard, but the hair is just not matured: it's vellus hair. It doesn't grow very long, though it does grow rather quickly.
- I am a rather small guy (5'4") but that is normal in my family (I'm taller than my father, who grows a full beard with yesterday's breakfast) and 150 lbs. I have matured hair in my pubic region and my armpits; my anal area; below my belly button; the back of my thigh (thin) and about half-way up my calves (also thin); and a little on my nipples. The hair on my arms is as long as normal arm hair, but it is thin and blond.
- I have no sexual dysfunctions; I've never had my sperm counted or any hormone levels checked (I don't think...). I have been seen for a varicocele on the left side of my scrotum (and a very small one on the right) that I have had for a while; my testicles were ultrasounded and examined by a urologist: the conclusion was that they were fine, had ample blood flow, and nothing was suggested to be done about it unless in the future I find out I'm less-than-ideally fertile. My penis is average size.
- I have a mole on my face that I was born with.
- My brothers get facial hair to different degrees; my older brother has a beard, but it is thinner; my younger brother has spots of hair here and there. I have uncles in similar situations.
- I have a small amount of Native American in me.
And that is the end of the background. My questions are:
Is this abnormal? Is there something I can do about it? How common is it for men to not develop a lot of facial hair?
What might the causes be?
Thank you for listening to my rant. And I will be so appreciative of any answers!