OK heres the deal,My sister in law was recently diagnosed with cervical cancer after a conical biopsy. she had an ultra sound Monday and they think its in into the lymph nodes because its backing up one kidney. She had a cat scan yesterday and because they are in a hurry they said results today or tomorrow, looks like tomorrow since not a damned thing happened today.They refuse to do surgery because they have to wait for 6 weeks after the conical biopsy for her to heal before they can start cutting but have decided that probably they will do a hysterectomy and then radiation if need be but if its in the lymphs then its no surgery an chemo all the way. Heres the questions, should anyone know,1) why the hell do you have to wait for 6 weeks after a conical biopsy to do surgery if the part they biopsied is the part they want to take out? 2) If it is indeed into the lymph nodes how much lower do the odds drop for remission?3) why would you not do surgery just because it infected the lymph nodes? there is still cancer in the cervix, so why not remove all that and treat whats left with the chemo?anyone been Thur anything similar or know a damned thing about any of this?I googled the shit out of those questions and didn't find anything that explained anything I also looked here at A2A and could find nothing that answers any of them so now I'm asking for any information or insights that anyone here has on this.A sister in law is no big deal right? especially since they have only been married a few weeks and dating a bit over a year, but consider this, We (OK mostly me) would prefer, if a divorce occurred that we keep her and her family take my brother.
You ask some complicated questions, and you really need to talk to her doctor(s). They'll speak freely in front of you if you're with her; otherwise they'll probably require that she sign a note (that will become part of her patient record) that says that the doctor can discuss whatever he want to with you.
I'll take a crack at this question:
> 3) why would you not do surgery just because it infected the lymph nodes? there is still cancer in the cervix, so why not remove all that and treat whats left with the chemo?
When cancer metastasizes, there if often a weird effect where, if you surgically remove the original tumor, the metastases go nuts and start growing very rapidly. It's as if they're in communication with each other.
I wish your sister good luck...hopefully she's being treated at a good cancer center.
Shes being treated at the huntsman cancer center, the same ones who did my sons when he was diagnose with thyroid cancer last year. Really excellent people to work with. I haven't been with her to an appointment, I get the information second hand from my brother at night when they get home from the hospital visits.
The only thing anyone will say about any of it is that they cant start surgery until shes healed form the biopsy because you have to heal before you start cutting again. I just cant get it thru my head, why the hell you have to heal up if its a part thats going to be taken out anyways?
Thats the one that really blows my mind.
My brother works shitty hours so sooner or later I will be the one that ends up taking her to an appointment, just shit that bothers me from the information Iv gotten from them and I have been doing some research for them to find out what I could the last couple of weeks since the biopsy came back as bad.
What makes it worse, is researching, finding new questions then waiting to see whats said and getting that information back second hand!
Thanks for the well wishing and as I find anything out Ill post it here in case it helps anyone in the future who stumbles across this thread.
When you can swing it, you should go with them to an appointment. Someone with a clue needs to help coordinate her care. Usually, no doctor will step up and do it. Someone needs to help make sure that the treatment makes sense, and nothing important falls through the cracks.
OK so today she had another appointment, she is having emergency (?? they knew for how long now I don't know why its suddenly an emergency when it wasn't before) surgery.
The best we can hope for after they open her up is a radical hysterectomy.
So the question really is, what the good damned hell is a radical one compared to a standard one??
Radical usually means they cut out nearby tissue to make sure they get everything. It sounds pretty rough. :frowning:
Let us know how it all goes. My thoughts are with you and your family.
Well here is how it is or at least currently,She was to have surgery today at 8 am so get there an hour early to prep and they decided to wheel her in at 1215pm instead of the 8 am they had said.6 hours later, (about 30 minutes ago here in the Mountain time zone) they came and said it went really well, they took every damned thing but the ovaries and they believe the cancer was contained and that its all been removed.She isn't awake yet but should be up in about an hour (another 20 minutes or so now)I'm currently waiting for a phone call to see what the situation is and if I need to go pick people up at the hospital or not.(They rode in with my brother who is planning on spending the night but they don't know yet if they need a ride home or not)Thanks for the well wishes Eddie, Ill post any additional stuff I find out as time goes on.
As Helms said great news chance, I hope her recovery goes really well.
Fingers are crossed.